Khow suey, is a noodle soup made with coconut milk, served with a variety of contrasting condiments. A squeeze of lemon also adds tanginess to khow suey. The dish is similar to the Burmese noodle dish ohn no khauk swe, literally ‘coconut milk noodles’.
Ingredients for Khow Suey
1 packet noodles boiled
1 cup noodles fried
For the paste
1 onion cubed
1 tablespoon ginger chopped
1 tablespoon garlic chopped
2 red chillis chopped
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon pepper corns
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon coriander seed (optional)
For the coconut curry
2 cups coconut milk
2 cups water
3 tablespoon chick pea flour / besan
½ cup carrot chopped
½ cup beans chopped
1 cup broccoli chopped
1 cup zucchini chopped
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon garlic sliced and fried
2 tablespoon onions sliced and fried
1 small onion chopped fine
2 tablespoon spring onions chopped
½ cup red capsicum sliced thinly
2 tablespoon coriander chopped
¼ cup roasted peanuts
1 teaspoon red chilli sliced
1 lemon cut into wedges
Directions For Khow Suey
The coconut curry
1. Grind together all the ingredients for the paste into a fine paste. Heat oil in a non-stick pan; add ground paste and saute well
2. Add gram flour and saute for 4 to 5 mins
3. Add carrot and beans and mix
4. Pour in water and cook till the carrots are half cooked
5. Add broccoli and cook for 2 mins
6. Add coconut milk
7. Add zucchini, salt and cook for 3 to 4 min
8. In individual bowl add noodles
9. Pour gravy
Grind together all the ingredients for the paste into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan; add ground paste and saute well.
- Add gram flour and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add carrot and beans and mix.
- Pour in water and cook till the carrots are half cooked.
- Add broccoli and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, zucchini, salt and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- To serve (2 different methods)
- In individual bowl add the noodles, pour gravy, sprinkle some chopped onions, fried onions, garlic, coriander and peanuts.
- Top with some fried noodles and a lemon wedge.
- Lay down the garnishes – fried onions, fried garlic, roasted peanuts, chopped cilantro, chopped onions, lemon wedges and fried noddle’s in the centre of the table.
- Divide the boiled noddle’s in individual bowls and pour the gravy and serve.
- Let everybody garnish according to their taste.